How to cut the lace
As we all know, all lace pieces, whether wigs, closures or frontals will come with excess lace in the front. This is done to in order to allow you to freely customize the look of your lace into whatever you desire. Though the option of leaving the lace on presents itself, it is always advised to cut the excess lace off. This will help you to achieve a very seamless hairline, and will also allow you to feel more comfortable and confident when you wear your lace closure, frontal or lace front wig.
Unsure how to cut the lace? No need to worry, we totally understand. Many people, from beginners to regular wig wears, are always hesitant when it comes to cutting the lace. The thought of messing up the lace weighs heavily, so we have laid down a few steps to help you confidently cut the lace on your lace closure, frontal or lace front wig.
- A pair of sharp scissors.
- A Comb
- Mannequin head (optional)
Steps in successfully cutting the lace:
- The first step is to figure out what is the most comfortable way for you to cut the lace, whether it’s using a mannequin head, doing it freehand, or doing it on your head, whatever is the most comfortable for you, go for it.
- Brush back the baby hairs, and use clips to keep the rest of the hair back as well. This will ensure that no hair is in the path of where you intend on cutting.
- Start cutting from the middle, vertically. Then proceed to cut by your temple and ears going horizontally. With precision, begin to cut the excess lace off. Please note: if you aren't comfortable with making a cut down the middle, feel free to cut the lace going straight across, starting from the corner nearest to your ear until all the excess lace is removed.
- Double check the lace, and remove any missed trimmings where necessary in order to ensure that the closure/frontal/lace wig is cut evenly.
- Optional: Proceed to gluing your lace down onto your head.
What to avoid when cutting the lace:
- In order to avoid having jagged edges, always ensure that the scissors aren’t dull. If it is then this will cause a lot of hiccups along the way, and it is best to avoid this.
- Ensure that you use a comb or a brush to push back the baby hairs before you proceed with cutting the lace.
- Cutting the lace is irreversible, therefore please ensure that you take your time in order to correctly do this.
We here at Brooklyn Hair hope that from this blog, you will have gained some confidence in cutting the lace from your closure/frontal/lace wig. Now an undetectable hairline is only a few cuts away!